Tuesday, July 8, 2014

365 Days of Tea - Day 17: Wu Yi Mountain Oolong.


I did things a little differently this time, but I didn't get as much of a result as I wanted. So I might not do it again for a while. It might be more effective later on though. Basically what I did was create a poll of teas that I could review, and had people vote on it. Although I know I have quite a few readers, I didn't get many voters. (Total of 11 voters) I think that perhaps I'm being a bit too interactive for this early on.

I also made a major mistake and didn't photograph the tea before brewing it, but this is something that wont ever happen again. I was just excited to try it and didn't even think of it. (It's partial because it was such a small sample, too)



Wu Yi Mountain Oolong is a special oolong grown in the Wu Yi mountains of Fujian, China. Its suppose to be such high quality that it is usually saved for honored guests in China.  Its considered an "Artisan tea" and some variations of it are considered the most expansive tea in the world. The plants are bred from three bushes that are around 1,000 years old. Its suppose to be a very delicate, and smooth. A very different concept from regular oolong. It should still contain a roasted favor, but much less strong.

Smell - It doesn't carry a very strong smell, considering its meant to be a more gentle flavor. Its very woody, with a slight mossy scent. It smells like a very far off woods, on a windy day. Its very nice.

Taste - Its a very delicate tea, very smooth. It taste very leafy, with a nice roasted undertone. I wouldn't recommend it as an ice tea, but I think it would be a perfect mid-after noon tea with a light lunch. Its very easy on the stomach, too. Its not harsh in anyway, probably as light as a white tea.

Overall - I found this to be quite nice, although, for something supposedly being the most expansive tea in the world, I don't see it. Its very possible that the company I got this from isn't selling the same quality of product. (Considering the price on there website..) So perhaps I'll have to give Wu Yi Oolong another try in the future and compare this with that. With all that being said though, I still think this oolong is a good tea.

(3 out of 5 tea leaves.)


Can be found @ 


I have to apologize for this post, I made a lot of unusual mistakes. If I can get more of the tea, I'd like to take my own photograph for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment