Tuesday, June 24, 2014

365 Days of Tea - Day 3.


Day 3 begins. So when I pick the tea of the day, I decide completely at random. I take the teas I've already reviewed from my shelf and put them a side then just grab a tea tin and roll with it! I usually have no idea what I'm getting myself into but I think that is what makes this special. Though, I do not have 365 teas to select from, I will have to find the financial means to acquire them. I also like the idea of readers sending me samples of their favorite tea to review as well it'd be a nice surprise to see what other people like out there. At this time, though, my readership isn't substantial enough for that. 


(Random Stock Photo. Don't sue me.)

I wanted to talk a little bit about what I brew with. Its a pretty typical tumbler (I wonder if you can guess the brand. lol.) It has this metal strainer looking piece that you put the tea leaves in, and you can push this button down and sip right out of the top. Depending on the tea, I don't even remove the leaves from the tumbler. Some of the herbal teas are best like this. I also realize I have a lot of herbal teas. For my reviews, however, I stick to the instructions because that is how it is expected to be consumed. I try not to alter any of the tea in anyway, so I can get as much of the intend favor as I can. Ideally, I'd like to get Breville One-Touch Tea maker, but that is a little... out of my price range. Maybe I should make a gofundme? Haha 


I don't have the typical label photograph today. Sorry!

Apple Lemon Pomegranate Rooibos Tea is today's favor. Rooibos is actually a legume. I'm drinking bean tea. Delicious. Rooibos is from a small area in South Africa, and its fermented and oxidized. 


You can see that there is also lemon grass, and strawberries in here, too. I'm drinking a fruit salad. There also appears to be some flower petals, apple stems, and yellow-ish seed things. I can't really tell the difference between the lemon grass and the tea, but supposedly it is in there. Since this is a rooibus tea, and they are usually closely related to herbal teas, steeping time was 6 minutes. (As stated in the instructions)



Color/Smell - It has a very strong fruity smell. I can usually pin-point what each component is adding to the smell, but in this case, I can only slightly tell the difference between the lemon smell and the rest. Its a good scent though, at least I thought so. It doesn't really brew dark at all. Its a rather golden hue, even after 6 minutes. After brewing the smell is all but gone. Rather disappointing.

Taste - Rooibus tea leaves don't really carry a lot of favor, but that is why it is usually pared with other herbs, dried bits.I should probably try my own infusions someday. It carries a very sweet taste, but its light. The sweetness isn't there in full force right away though, it kind of rolls onto the tongue. The rest of the favor is mostly a light lemon taste. I don't notice any notes from the pomegranate, but it might be adding the general sweetness. Afterwards it kind of leaves a mild strawberry sourness it in's wake.

Overall - It is a pretty light tea, I was expecting a lot more favor considering the brew time and the amount of stuff involved. I would imagine if you brewed it all day in really hot water, then added some sugar, it would make really good ice tea. This is a tea I would probably drink in the morning, or when I have an upset stomach. It tends to be rather gentle on you. I did enjoy it, but its definitely not my favorite. Actually, you might even consider putting some of the raw tea in a loaf of bread, or scones. Or brew it really strong and use it in place of water.


(2 and a half out of 5. Mildly-Recommended.

Can be found here.

Its my girl friend's favorite tea, she might kill me for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment